Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Thoughts from Places: Maine

When in a foreign country it is important to embrace the local culture: do popular activities, eat the favourite foods, and live as the locals do. In each country I've visited I've made a point to try to find a welcoming host to show me how they live. A friend in Thailand, a local guide in Vietnam, an entire village in Cambodia... Back in the states I was fortunate enough to be taken in by the extended family of a very dear friend of mine. And it was the best American experience I could imagine. 

Lewiston, Maine may not seem like anything special. The city centre looks like most American towns (that I know of), the neighborhoods are cookie-cutter comfortable (in my opinion), and the people seem much the same as any other town in the Northeast (in my experience). But, for one action-packed weekend, Lewiston Maine became my best cultural experience in America. A summer cookout with Maine lobsters and tender steaks, followed by afternoon apple picking, a stunning hot air balloon town festival, and topped off baking fresh apple pies from scratch. As I stood like a fly on the wall watching the women in the kitchen and the men in the lounge, every single one with a smile on their faces, I could not help but think I was living the American Dream. 
That may not be everyone's American experience, but for that weekend it was mine. And I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Even when you've returned, and the backpack is unpacked and you think you've regressed to reality, you can still find a welcome adventure in the most unexpected places. You never have to go far for your next great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment